Sterilization & Monitoring
– We use autoclaves to sterilize items used during the piercing procedure. An autoclave is a machine that uses a combination of steam, heat and pressure to sterilize by eliminating bacteria and spores.
– For each load that is run in our autoclaves, we use two forms of monitoring. Each load contains a sterilization integrator, individually packaged and stamped with the date and load #. Pouches containing single-use needles and body jewelry also hold a sterilization indicator strip (stamped w/ the corresponding date and load #). These monitoring devices allow us to see, via a color change, that the correct parameters for sterilization are being met.
– A spore test is the ONLY way to know that an autoclave is working properly and is effectively sterilizing. While state regulations only require testing once a month, our autoclaves are spore tested weekly and results are reported by an independent lab. All results are available for your review at our front counter.
– Prior to your piercing, you will have a chance to review our sterilization procedure. We welcome any questions you may have about our sterilization procedure and will happy to answer them for you. Once we are in the room, your piercer will show you the Sterilization Indicators and Integrators that have been processed along with everything we are using for your individual piercing. This allows you to verify sterilization, firsthand. After your piercing we will attach these strips to your paperwork and record the sterilization dates and load #s and ask for your signature to verify that you have seen them.
– Our studio operates two completely separate areas dedicated to the sterilization process. This extra space allows us to perform disinfection and sterilization in two different rooms, and when coupled with extensive employee training, virtually eliminates the likelihood of cross-contamination… that protects you and our employees and makes a studio a much safer place to visit. You can view both of the sterilization rooms when you visit, just ask for a studio tour! We are proud of our studio and the steps we take to protect our clients.
Separate Sterilization Rooms
– All of the piercers at Immaculate are APP members, and are committed to exceeding industry standards. The Association of Professional Piercers is an international non-profit organization that promotes health and safety within the body piercing industry. In order to maintain membership, piercers must meet, or exceed, both environmental and personal criteria, as well as agreeing to only pierce with appropriate and safe materials.
– In addition to membership, we take advantage of the continuing education provided by the APP during their annual educational conference. We believe that, as professionals, it is important that we never stop learning.
For more information on the APP, visit: www.safepiercing.org